Beefed up works under Beef Roads Program
Joint media release with Michelle Landry, Federal Member for Capricornia and David Littleproud, Member for Maranoa
Funding approved to seal approximately 16.9 kilometres of the Clermont—Alpha Road
The upgrade will support the beef industry by improving safety, travel reliability, road train access and better link agricultural industries to markets
The project will be funded by the Australian and Queensland governments on an 80:20 basis
The first project under the $100 million Beef Roads Program has been approved by the Australian Government to seal 16.9 kilometres of the Clermont to Alpha Road.
Federal Minister for Infrastructure and Transport Darren Chester said the $8.71 million works would significantly improve road safety, travel reliability and access for oversize vehicles while reducing freight and maintenance costs.
“We're investing in an eight-metre seal on the upgraded sections through the Beef Roads Program because we understand that to make the most of our opportunities, we need a modern and reliable road network,” Mr Chester said.
“This investment will ensure this key freight route will stand up to Queensland's weather and reduce road closures, and eliminate vehicle weight restrictions.”
Federal Member for Capricornia Michelle Landry said the Coalition's investment through the Beef Roads Program was keeping the state and regional economies moving.
“The sealing works that will be undertaken will really help support our agricultural and resource industries across the entire central-western Queensland region. Our investment in these upgrades are an investment in the reliability, productivity and resilience of all our industry supply chains and local jobs,” Ms Landry said.
Federal Member for Maranoa David Littleproud said work on the first package of the upgrades were due to start in early 2018, with overall completion due in mid-2019.
“This vastly improved, sealed surface will provide increased protection and room to manoeuvre for cattle-loaded road trains travelling the route. These upgrades will also provide a great boost for local jobs, with the projects to be delivered by Barcaldine and Isaac Shire Councils,” Mr Littleproud said.
The Australian Government is contributing up to $6.97 million towards the $8.71 million package, representing 80 per cent of the project costs. The Queensland Government will provide the remaining 20 per cent.
For information, click here.